BUREAU OF ECONOMIC ANALYSIS PROJECT
(Loan No. 4185-RU)
The project «Bureau of Economic Analysis » (Project BEA) was carried out in 1997-2005. Its principal clients were the Russian Federation ministries: Ministry of Economic Development and Trade, Ministry of Finance, Russian Statistical Agency, Federal Antimonopoly Service, Ministry of Industry, Science and Technology, Ministry of Social Development, the Central Bank of Russia, the State Duma, Accounting Chamber.
The main objective of the Project has been provision of consulting services to the Government of the Russian Federation and federal executive authorities to develop economic policy that would help to enhance efficiency of national economy.
Each year in the course of the Project implementation the Foundation carried out researches in the following areas of economic policy:
About 60 research projects were carried out by the Foundation for the Russian Statistical Agency (Rosstat). One of the most important assignments was launching labor survey according to ILO methodology on a quarterly basis with participation of local statistical offices of 88 constituents of the Russian Federation (with the exclusion of Chechen Republic).
The Foundation also assisted the Russian Statistical Agency by organizing training of its employees and purchasing equipment for the central office and 89 territorial statistical bodies of the Russian Statistical Agency, as well as for Main inter-regional computer center of the Rosstat.
In the course of the BEA Project implementation the Foundation released 37 monographies on various aspects of macroeconomic policy and prepared more than 130 economic policy studies and reports. On inquiries of the key ministries of the economic block the BEA Foundation has prepared more than 200 policy notes and 67 information - analytical bulletins on pressing issues of the economic policy.
JAPANESE GRANT FOR SUB-NATIONAL FISCAL REFORM
(Grant No. TF-025361)
Implementation of the grant program was completed for the benefit of the RF Ministry of Finance in 1999-2000.
In the course of the project preparation tender procedures were organized and completed, consulting contracts concluded for expert, analytical and research activities within the framework of 10 topics agreed by the World Bank and Russian government. Small amount of office equipment was also purchased for the RF Ministry of Finance as well as several workshops were conducted with participation of representatives from regions of the Russian Federation.
As a result of the Grant activities the World Bank Sub-national Fiscal Reform Technical Assistance and Adjustment Loan (Loan № 4528-Ru) was approved and corresponding project implementation started.
JAPANESE GRANT FOR PREPARATION OF THE
DEVELOPMENT OF THE STATE STATISTICAL SYSTEM PROJECT
(Grant No. TF-025359)
Preparatory activities for the Development of the State Statistical System (STASYS) Project were conducted in 1999-2000 for the benefit of the RF State Statistics Committee (Goskomstat). The main fields of activity were as follows:
- Feasibility study for the development of the Goskomstat corporate computer information system,
- Creating of Terms of reference for the main components of the forthcoming STASYS Project,
- Drafting training and educational programs for the Goskomstat personnel, in particular in the field of internationally accepted methodology for official statistical surveys,
- Conducting a workshop to discuss main principles and objectives of the RF state statistical system development.
Results of the Grant program implementation were approved by the World Bank, STASYS Project is currently implemented under BEA Foundation management (Loan № 4468 - RU).
JAPANESE GRANT FOR THE STRUCTURAL
ADJUSTMENT LOAN PREPARATION
(Grant No. TF-027131)
Implementation of the Grant program was conducted in 1998 for the benefit of the RF Ministriy of Economy, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Foreign Economic Relations, RF State Construction Committee, RF State Anti-Monopoly Committee and Secretariat to the RF Government. In the course of the project preparation tender procedures were organized and completed, consulting contracts concluded for expert, analytical and research activities. Small amount of office equipment was also purchased for the RF Ministry of Economy
JAPANESE GRANT FOR THE AGRICULTURAL
SECTOR ADJUSTMENT LOAN PREPARATION
(Grant No. TF-029128)
Implementation of the Grant program was completed in 1999-2000 for the benefit of the RF Ministry of Agriculture. In the course of the project preparation tender procedures were organized and completed, consulting contracts concluded for expert, analytical and research activities within the framework of 7 topics agreed by the World Bank and Russian government. Main goals and objectives of the grant program were changed during its implementation, from the initial goal of Agricultural Sector Adjustment Loan preparation the main objective came to creating preconditions for implementation a program of agricultural sector reform within the general structural adjustment project.
THE KNOW HOW FUND TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE
FOR THE BEA DEVELOPMENT
The UK Government's Know How Fund had chosen a consortium of UK academics and consultants from National Economic Research Associates (NERA), The London Business School, Heriot-Watt University and the University of Cambridge to help a new Russian think-tank Bureau of Economic Analysis Foundaton with conducting economic and social research and formulation of respective policy advice for the Government of Russia. The assistance project was implemented in 1998-2000, when a number of joint research projects were conducted in the fields of macroeconomic modeling, financial market analysis, trade and competition policy, utility regulation, enterprise restructuring and social sector reform
In the course of its activities BEA Foundation conducts short-term research, expert and analytical projects within the framework of state contracts with federal ministries and commercial contracts with legal entities.
Within the period of 2001-2003 for the RF Ministry of Economic Development and Trade the following research were conducted by BEA team:
- Analysis of industrial products competitiveness factors and main directions of competitiveness increasing;
- Using of national accounts system in the course of complex analysis of national economy;
- Development of principles and instruments for structural reform of federal railway transport;
- Analysis of property transformation in Russian industry and development of recommendations on regulatory mechanisms development;
- Non-asset instruments for sales and purchases of industrial enterprises;
- Enhancing of the regional policy effectiveness in the field of direct foreign investments;
- Using of international experience in economic activities classification for development of the accounting and reporting system of enterprises;
- Improvement of macro-economic policy, mid-term and long-term forecasting;
- Development of practical measures to restrict corruption within the framework of economic reform;
- Creating a system of indicators reflecting an impact of economic reform on current state of economy;
- Development and implementation of a system of measures to ensure diversification of the GDP and a faster growth of the basic sectors of the economy and to create favorable conditions for investment growth and exports expansion in the non-raw materials related sectors (State support)
- Analysis of correlation between macro-economic indices and transformation processes in socio-economic sphere based on developed system of indicators.