June 18, 2014
(CONSULTING SERVICES – FIRMS SELECTION)
SECOND STATE STATISTICAL SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT PROJECT
Loan No. 4867-RU
Assignment Title: Development of Methodology for the Improvement of Russian Business Statistics
Reference No. ST2/2/A.1.14
The Russian Federation has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Second State Statistical System Development Project and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services.
The consulting services (“the Services”) include the development of methodology for the improvement of Russian business statistics, including methodological guidelines for the maintenance and use of the Statistical Register. To fulfill the assignment, the Consultant should:
- review international recommendations, study and summarize practices of national statistical offices in this area;
- review the existing methodology and the operation of the databases of Rosstat Statistical Register; detect problem areas, suggest how to address them in terms of Russian legislation;
- prepare recommendations for accounting and automated identification of different types of units in the Statistical registers, including (i) definitions of main types of observation units with the account for the SNA requirements, (ii) algorithms to automate the assignment of classification and identification codes, (iii) a list of administrative data used to establish a complete register, (iv) a list of user types who have rights of access to the register;
- propose a scheme of information flows for creating information fund for the Statistical Register with its centralization in view; draft proposals for using administrative and statistical data for creating the Statistical register;
- suggest various methods for data imputation in case of data omissions on observation units (e.g. number of employees, revenues); formalize general and specific procedures of data imputation;
- develop requirements to the information base, i.e. to its completeness, quality, consistency, as well as to its updating;
- develop a detailed interaction model for the informational and operational components of the Statistical register, including regulations for the register’s operation and users’ access; describe in details the architecture of the Statistical register.
- enhance methodology for business demography statistics with the account for the international standards and on the basis of available statistical data in Rosstat and information from the Statistical register.
- prepare draft regulation for user access to the Statistical register, including external users; suggest procedure for interacting with users;
- carry out calculations to test the proposed algorithms for identification and accounting of business entities and individual entrepreneurs and the interaction model for the information and operational components of the Statistical register.
- analyze the test results for the Statistical register model and draft proposals for improving the model and the algorithms;
- refine the rules and algorithms for identification and accounting of business entities on the basis of tests.
Estimated duration of the assignment is 12 months.
The Bureau of Economic Analysis Foundation appointed as Project Implementation Unit of the Second State Statistical System Development Project now invites eligible consulting firms (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
The shortlisting criteria are:
The Consultant shall be an independent company with sufficient experience in carrying out similar work and with awareness of the Russian economy, methodology used in the state statistical system in Russia, awareness of the international practices in this area. This company shall have successful experience and organizational resources to fulfill this assignment within the indicated time frame. The Consultant shall be specialized in rendering consulting services, including those on development of enterprise registers, statistical registers and their use at the federal and regional levels, shall have experience in conducting research and in implementing similar projects in the Russian Federation and/or other countries.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 and 1.11 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants by World Bank Borrowers, May 2004, revised October 2006 and May 2010 (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest and eligibility.
Consultants may submit their Expressions of Interest as an individual firm or in association in the form of a joint venture or subconsultancy. All the members of the joint venture shall be jointly and severally liable for the entire assignment. However, the experience of sub-consultant will not be considered while short-listing.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the QCBS (Quality- and Cost-Based Selection) method set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours from 11:00 to 17:00 hours.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or by e-mail) by July 20, 2014.
Bureau of Economic Analysis Foundation
Second State Statistical System Development Project
Attn: Mr. Sergey Kirnos, Head of Procurement Department
27, bld. 3, Zoubovsky blvd., Moscow 119021, Russia
Tel: (+7 495) 937-67-50
Fax: (+7 495) 937-67-53