On January 17, 2014, in Moscow the Russian Federation and the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development signed the Loan Agreement (# 8291-RU) for a loan in the amount of USD 60 million to finance Second National Hydromet Modernization Project.
The objective of the Project is to assist Roshydromet in further enhancement of the national capacity to deliver reliable and timely weather, hydrological and climate information to the population and the economy and enhance its capacity to integrate into the global system of meteorological services.
Activities planned under this Project aimed at improvement of the technological and information systems of Roshydromet, further upgrading of the main components of the observation systems; further strengthening of the institutional capacity of Roshydromet; improvement of quality of meteorological, climatological, and hydrological production and services provided to users.
Tasks of the Project:
1. Development of the information and telecommunication infrastructure and improvement of delivery of meteorological, climatological, and hydrological data to users:
- Enhancement of technical capacity of Roshydromet to develop weather forecasting and study climate changes;
- Development of regional data storage and archiving systems with users’ access to Roshydromet information resources;
- Deployment of Roshydromet integrated information and telecommunication system.
2. Modernization of observation systems:
- Development of the meteorological observation network;
- Development of the aerological (upper-air) network;
- Refurbishing of regional weather forecasting units;
- Development of the hydrological network.
3. Institutional and regulatory strengthening, improvement of service delivery to clients and better preparedness for emergencies
- Institutional strengthening of Roshydromet;
- Client service system;
- Emergency preparedness and response.
The BEA Foundation as the Project Implementation Unit is to be in charge of technical functions under the Project, including procurement, finance management and Project fund disbursement.